Sunday, December 25, 2011

Review of film "Beginners" Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer

Gattopardo Dec 24/2011 - I didn't like this movie.  I thought Christopher Plummer played a selfish man who only had a passing interest in why his son could make no commitments.  I was more interested in the mother -- I'd like to know why she stuck with her bad deal of a marriage.  I also could not get a clue as to why the son loved his father so much.  The gay factor in all this was not done well I felt.  A man as closeted as Plummer might come out, but with all this fanfare?  Also, the son's girlfriend was too phony.  And this ridiculous situation - the fancy hotel, the girl's arch mannerisms - ecch.  And this was supposed to represent his coming to terms with a solid relationship? The young men driving around town painting on buildings for fun?  The odd filming techniques and pastiches intercut in the filming?  Why did none of the reviews warn us?
   The only thing that kept us watching was the charming dog, Arthur; an adorable Jack Russell terrier.

No comments: