Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cleopatra, Rome, Alexandria - A Life

901798

5 of 5 stars
Read in December, 2011

Cleopatra: A Life (Hardcover) Stacy Schiff - Little, Brown

I spent all day yesterday reading this book. There are so many reviews here, I thought I would just add the point that I learned so much about Egypt and Alexandria, its wealth and beauty. I could feel the warmth and salt air. Sad to think the old city is so gone, so much under water now. I loved this book. Didn't think Schiff could improve on "Vera". Wonderful writer! I had a little trouble getting started, but when I did I couldn't stop. This book makes so clear the rough and poor quality of the city of Rome at the time, in comparison to Alexandria. And Schiff is a genius to have brought Cleopatra to life with so many gaps in the sources. I really wondered when our book club chose it to read, why such a well-worn old story. Then the towering queen came to life with all her strength, education, languages, pageantry. Wonderful book!

No comments: