Saturday, October 31, 2009

Review of "Cheri" for Netflix

I enjoyed this tremendously and Sal found it disturbing and somewhat boring. What can I say? I was madly in love with Colette and all her novels and writings as a teenager -- especially Cheri and the Last of Cheri. I felt Michelle Pfeiffer was a little too much the modern idea of a beautiful woman. I imagined Lea as a plush, comfortable woman (like Polly Walker from the series "Rome") who dealt with the loss of Cheri with more equanimity - as a woman ready to give up all the work of being constantly attractive to a man, letting herself go. Anyhow, the basic premise is fascinating -- a totally babied and cosseted young man is totally unprepared for life and cannot and will not face it. It is supposed to be a sad story. I thought Rupert Fried was perfect for the role. In fact, none of the reviews prepared me for the fact I did indeed very much enjoy this film though it could have been better.

No comments: