Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Netflix Review

We got really misty-eyed. This movie (made for TV) might be manipulative and sentimental but it hits a strong chord. Dermot Mulroney gives up his Downs Syndrome baby because he had a tragedy in his past with a baby sister who had it. Emily Watson plays a woman who keeps and raises the baby.  The baby  brings her great happiness (and difficulties too). Mulroney's wife is gradually distanced from her miserable, conflicted husband. Their son grows up confused by the problems in his parents' lives. I haven't read the book, probably won't. But this is a powerful and satisfying movie. What's the moral? Maybe that being open with your closest loved ones and sharing the decisions is not always easy to do. OCT09

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sylvia! You never told me you had a blog. (Gee whiz, I told you about mine.)

Regarding the book, however, I tried to read it on our last vacation. Got about halfway through before I tossed it away, thinking "this is a poorly written, boring piece of trash."

steve

Anonymous said...

Sylvia! You never told me you had a blog. (Gee whiz, I told you about mine.)

Regarding the book, however, I tried to read it on our last vacation. Got about halfway through before I tossed it away, thinking "this is a poorly written, boring piece of trash."

steve