Sunday, July 19, 2009

Still Alice

Still Alice Still Alice by Lisa Genova


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I just gobbled this book up. "Still Alice" was suggested by the Goodreads discussion group and I thank them for it. This was a story written from the point of view of a 50 year old Harvard professor with early onset Alzheimer's. Though we have lived with the long decline of a neighbor and friend, I felt I learned a great deal from this book. For instance, despite the loss of language and despite the confusion, Alice still felt very strongly the emotional climate of her family -- in fact was especially sensitive to physical clues of her loved ones and friends. She developed a closeness to her actress daughter lacking in her life before. Her daughter was able to learn things from her mother that helped her in her life and career. Yes, it's a sad story, but well worth reading -- simply written, clear, humorous and caring.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: